Saturday, January 14, 2012

Today is/was a radio day...

Today is/was a radio day...

Were going live in 3... 2... 1... Go! Sound! Sound!! It looked it was going to be a long sit but the six hours went quit fast, I was nervous during these six hours, lol. No wonder cause the main techician putted me behind the mixer. I had to take care of two computer screens, one mixer, one phone, and I had to keep an eye on the discjokckey, and aswell communicate with him. I thought the main technician would do all this today and I had to help him here and there, I still needed to learn things. But, the technician putted me on his thrown, eek? Yeah. eek!! Having a huge microphone infront of me and the huge mixer with all the buttons and little lamps wasn't helping me much. 

There were a few mistakes from my side but that's pretty normal for a first timer like me, further I must say for a first timer it went pretty good. The program we made has alot of latest news, reports and live intervieuws, this program isn't just a radioprogram with loads of music. Like playing a record, telling a little story and then a record again. That's much easier, but on this program everything has to be ready and set to start, that's where the technician is for. Mostly the technicians and dj's have a script here, that's always handy. The few mistakes I made were not that a problem, but I surely disliked it. 

Here I sat for six hours, nerve wrecking but in the end it was surely worth it. I surely didn't do bad for a first timer.
The start tune was finnished then I had to open the michrophone from the discjokey so he could start with a few messages, but I forgot. Another thing was that I started a record after the discjocky gave a sign but there was no sound, wich I forgot aswell. I had to pay attention on so many things, there are so many handelings I had to do. That button has to be pushed, in the same time I will have to pay attention on the computer screen and wait for a sign from the discjockey, I really had to think ahead. I asked after every intervieuw or song what comes next, lol, I wanted to be sure that I wouldn't make the same mistakes again. In these six hour of radio I mostly thought, "No, this is not my thing, I will finnish this afternoon, then I'll stop." 


I didn't feel for sitting with nerves, worries or stress for so many hours, just to get a nice perect program. It's a vollunteer's job, it's suposse to be fun without being worried or having stress, lol. But then again, I didn't do bad, maybe it will go better and I will get the hang of it when I do it more often. I don't know, I didn't mention anything about quiting it. I said to them after our show that we will mail each other, I'm sure they will mail me in the comming days for a next show the next week. I'm still going for it, and will see how it goes. I did a little bit of radio work before, and I was a so called hobby discjockey before. But this is so much different on so many levels. 

On this picture you see a house discjockey, he playes dance record after dance record, beat after beat. The crowd loves it!
As a hobby discjockey I played dance record after dance record, there was no talking between the records, just a long mix of dance records. The other radio work I did was aswell a local radio station, but then in Nijverdal, my old hometown. There I didn't do the technic and I didn't play records, I organized and labeled new songs what came in. I always was a fan of music or doing something in the music, I learned alot of timing in the music, I know how to get a radio program full, or make a script for the program. You have to make a nice filling program for the listener, so that the listener is thinking, 'Nice, I'm going to sit for this.' Anyway, while I'm writing about music and radio I actually wanna go back, back to where I was this afternoon.  


Yeah, I have a good feeling about this, although the nerves and a little bit of stress while doing the job are there too (still).

4 comments:

jazain said...

i really think its cool and who knows? maybe this will lead to a big career change for you!!!

sonnie100dj@hotmail.com said...

My first thoughts were while I was there, no this isn't my thing, to much stress and worries of screwing up. But in the end I guess I did pretty well for the first time.

I'm looking forward to the next visit, yeah and who knows....

jazain said...

but youre new, anything is confusing when you first start but then you get more experience and get better and then you know just what to do!! just like reha and your new job. you got there, had to be trained and now you know it like the back of your hand!!!

sonnie100dj@hotmail.com said...

I had the same thought.That's why I wanted to try this radio thing aswell.like, who knows?

But oh my this first time being 'live' on the radio,damn! Paying attention is a must. Wish I could let it hear you, but this radiostation can't be broadcasted in the US. Shame!

Post a Comment