Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Landed!

Landed!


It was an okay flight and it went pretty fast. I really liked the food on the plane, chicken and rice with broccoli, and a salad with lots of little apple slices. And as a snack a little chocolate cake, that was dinner. And as breakfast we had, yogurt (peach) and a little muffin. Arriving in Holland went fine, no huzzefuzz at the passport control, pffeeww. I overstayed the permitted six months in Canada big time. I wonder if customs is going to be difficult in Canada, if I want to come back for a little visit, I planned to come back for late summer or for  the Christmas holidays.

First I'm gonna check everything if I CAN come back for a visit, I need to know this a 1000% with no huzzefuzz! Once out of the plane I just did the things I had to do, I had slightly thoughts of Canada, though I hated being back in Holland. I got my luggage, and got my train ticket. This time without the 40% off, cause I stopped my '40% off' train card when I returned to Canada for good. Picking up the luggage went smooth. It's so weird to hear the Dutch language again...  Specially the people with that city accent, it's annoying, and at this time, I don't like it, everything looks so small aswell. 

The train trip was good and short, only those heavy suitcases were a bit of a pain. In the train towards my village I was getting nerves to see my Aunt and Uncle again, it's sure has been a while. They will pick me up from the train station., and from there we will go to my Dad's place. Getting out of the train while arriving was a pain with the heavy suitcases, I needed help from someone, so I asked. Then it was just waiting for a blue van, my Uncle's car. When they arrived I hugged my Aunt,what I actually never do, she wanted to shake my hand and I thought "Come one, I want a hug. 

I cried a little bit seeing them again. Then we went on our way to my Dad's place.Was I nervous? Yeah, just a little bit, I talked alot to my Aunt and Uncle, everything went so easy. We were almost there, there's  this nice path just near my Dad's place, it's near a forest and on the left you see little mini horses. It made me think when Saf came to Holland with Ab,two years ago in October. It was always nice walking there with them. When we at my Dad's place my Uncle went first in, to check if my Dad was ready.  He was! When I saw him the first thing what came to my mind was "He didn't change much," although he's getting older, 73 this year! 

I cried a bit and walked towards him, I hugged him and kissed his forehead. He was okay but I had it hard, we were both happy to see each other. He has so many pictures from Saf and me and the kids in his room. I looked trough them all with double feelings, it was nice to see the photos back. Funny thing was, my Dad was still wearing his Canadian  slippers on his feet what Saf bought for him when she came to Holland. But he needed new ones and asked me if Saf could get them for him. "Sure," I replied. He's getting old! After visiting my Dad's for an hour we continued our journey to the 'new couple', where I'm going to stay for a while. 

It sure was a hard place to find, the city was called Almelo and it's about 30 min from Dad's place.We were looking for the street for such a long time, and finally we found it (number 31)  I was nerves already, and when the man of the house opened the door I was stunned. He's big and tall, and has some tattoos, wow! We introduced each other and then me and him grabbed the luggage's and went inside. My Aunt and Uncle went on to somewhere else, they had a birthday party. "Heavy suitcases," said the owner of the house. His name is Jo, and talks alot. I felt a bit awkward being here and not in Canada, but he was nice and slightly understood where I'm going trough. 

Two and a half year in Canada is not nothing, I did so many things there that you easily get used to those things. I still miss the kids and Saf, we are SO far apart now and it's tough. 
Jo and I talked about staying here in his house, and explained me some rules. He showed me my room and it was small but okay, I have a place to stay. Jo talked about the rent aswell, and the food. He had an idea, "If you pay 25 Euro in the week you can get anything what you want what's in the fridge," meaning he or his wife cooks for me and I can make or eat anything what I like. I thought, "Okay," and I agreed with the deal. 

That makes a total then from 400 Euro in the month for rent and food, it was all fine with me. The rent was 300 in the month.I had mixed feeling this afternoon, first you feel sad cause you miss Saf and the kids, I had some crying moments but tried to hide it, and then you move on again. If I did something, like making plans for the next day or I unpack the luggage's, I think about it less. Although I had many times that I wanted to burst out in tears. Being with this couple feels good, but not for a long time, he's a very nice guy,and he always says "No problem." 

The lady of the house came later and I introduced myself, and she did too. She's a tiny bit different then Jo, she's a bit quiet, but friendly aswell. For dinner we had 'boerenkool with worst' a nice winter meal. After dinner I had a little nap and came downstairs again around 8:00. (coffee time according to Jo) Then I went to bed early cause I was tired, I made some plans for tomorrow. I have to ask Jo for a ride perhaps to my town, cause I need to arrange my insurance....and alot more. I fell asleep with in five minutes...

No comments:

Post a Comment